Great-Grandparents    (Mother's Father's Parents)

Erwin Chamberlin Morlan
Erwin Chamberlin Morlan

Born: August 7, 1835, in Beaver County,
   Pennsylvania -- seventh son and child of
   Richard & Mary (Erwin) Morlan

Died: December 29, 1910, at Marceline,
   Missouri at the age of 75 (He had a stroke and
   was paralyzed about 1896) -- buried in the
   Waters Cemetery near Lamar, Barton County,

Adaline Curry Morlan
Adaline Curry Morlan

Born: September 5, 1853, in Mahaska County,
   Iowa, first child of Robert W. and Amanda
   (Kelly) Curry

Died: September 17, 1937, in Marceline, Missouri,
   at age 84 -- She was buried next to her husband
   in Lamar, Missouri

Married: October 21, 1869, in Dublin, Barton County, Missouri

Occupation: Erwin fought in the Civil War with the 4th Missouri Calvary, Company C, as an Orderly
                   Sergeant. He was a merchant, Probate Judge, and Postmaster in Dublin, Missouri

Erwin Chamberlin Morlan was born August 7, 1835, in Beaver County, Pennsylvania. His mother, Mary (Erwin) Morlan passed away when he was only 10 years old. The 1850 census listed him as being a 15-year-old student.

About 1853, when he was about 18 years old, Erwin started his move from the area where he was born. He first went to Mississippi, where he stayed about four months, before returning to Pennsylvania, where he remained about a year and a half. He then went to Ohio, staying about five months, before coming back to Pennsylvania, staying in Pittsburgh until the following spring; his work there was operating an engine. He then returned home to Beaver County, Pennsylvania.

About 1856, when he was about 21 years old, he left home again, moving to Jennings County, Ohio, but remaining only one winter. From there Erwin traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana. He traveled on a flat boat, first on the Ohio River, then on the Mississippi. The Ohio River was only a few miles from their home in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania.

While in New Orleans he saw a mulatto being sold at a slave auction which he later told his son, George, about.

Erwin Morlan worked his way back up the Mississippi River, first to St. Louis and then to Hannibal, Missouri, where he got a job digging telephone-post holes on the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad. He settled in St. Joseph in 1862.

When the Civil War broke out, he first enlisted in the state troops for three months. Also enlisting was Charles L. Morlan, his brother. In Maryville or St. Joseph, Missouri, in the April of 1862, Erwin enlisted for a term of three years in the 4th Missouri Cavalary, Company C, with Col. George H. Hall commanding. During the Civil War he fought at the Battles of Springfield, Wilson Creek, Little Blue and Westport. He was an Orderly Sergeant. He was mustered out in March 31, 1865, in St. Louis, Missouri. For more information on his war years, go to:

After the war Erwin first farmed one year near St. Louis before coming to Barton County, Missouri, in the spring of 1867.

He first located at Lamar, Missouri. Lamar is located about 30 miles north of Joplin, Missouri. That fall he settled in Dublin, Missouri, a few miles south of Lamar. Dublin at that time was the only town between Lamar and Carthage. It was also a stage coach stop on the Sedalia to Joplin run.

Dublin, Missouri, according to the "History of Barton County", was a small town on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, in Township 30 Range 31, in the southwest part of Richland Township on the southern border of Barton County. It was formerly known as Coon Creek with the name being changed to Dublin in November 1876. The plot of Morlans' addition was filed April 8, 1880. The population of Dublin was approximately 100 at the time. Dublin is no longer on the map -- because of some land problems with a farmer in Dublin, the railroad changed their operation a few miles south to Jasper, Missouri. Dublin just faded away.

Erwin Chamberlin Morlan married Adaline Curry on October 21, 1869, in Dublin, Barton County, Missouri. Erwin Morlan was 18 years older than his wife, Adaline (Curry) Morlan. At the time of their marriage Erwin was 34 years old, while Adaline was only 16 years old. Adaline was born on September 5, 1853, the daughter of Robert W. and Amanda (Kelley) Curry.

Erwin was appointed Barton County Postmaster in 1867 which he served all his life. He owned a large general store which he ran in conjunction with the postoffice. He served as Township Collector for one term and Township Trustee. He was elected Probate Judge in 1878, serving four years to 1882

In 1870, the value of his real estate and other holdings amounted to $3,255. Later he also owned three-fourths interest in the Coon Creek Mills in Dublin. The mill had the capacity of producing 85 barrels of flour and 800 bushels of feed stuff. Records indicated that he also had very desirable town property consisting of houses and lots and 97 acres of farm land adjacent to the town.

Erwin and Adda (Curry) Morlan were the parents of six children, all born in Dublin, Barton County, Missouri. It should be noted that his biography, located in the county plat book, indictes only five children with George being omitted.

Erwin C. Morlan had a stroke and was paralyzed about 1896. He was about 61 years old at the time. This left most of the work, both the farm work and operating the store, to his two youngest sons, George and Fred Morlan. George was also the assistant postmaster and had to carry the mail to the railroad four times a day.

Around 1902 Erwin Morlan moved with his wife and their two sons to Marceline, Missouri, where their oldest daughter, Cora (Morlan) Waller, lived.

George and Fred started working for the Santa Fe Railroad in Marceline. After about 2 years they were transferred to Fort Madison, Iowa. Erwin and Adda (Curry) Morlan went to Iowa with them.

Sometime in 1906, S. Fredrick Morlan left Iowa to go back to Marceline, Missouri, where he married Sylvia Saunders on October 24, 1906. The Erwin Morlan's stayed in Iowa until the day after their son, George Morlan, married Lyda Kelly on October 24, 1907, when they moved to Marceline, Missouri, to live with their daughter, Cora (Morlan) Waller. At the time he was 72 years old and Adda was 53 years old.

Erwin C. Morlan died in Marceline on December 29, 1910, at the age of 75. He was buried in Waters Cemetery about 11 miles southwest of Lamar, Barton County, Missouri. The cemetery is about 3 miles west of the original site of Dublin, Missouri. He did not leave a will; therefore, his estate went to probate with his son-in-law, Stephen Wallar, being the administrator.

At the time of his death, he had 70 acres of land in Barton County and two lots in the original town of Dublin. The 70-acre farm was rented to W.S. and Ida (Morlan) Lane.

After her husband's Death, Adaline (Curry) Morlan went with her son, Samuel Fredrick Morlan, to homestead between Sykes and Belltower, Montana. This was about 1913/14.    See HOMESTEADING IN MONTANA     The George Morlan family came to Montana shortly after they were there.

After about three years in Montana, Adaline returned to live again with her daughter Cora (Morlan) Waller. She was about 60 years old when she was homesteading in Montana. She died September 19, 1937, at the age of 83 in Marceline, Missouri. She was buried next to her husband in the Waters Cemetery in Lamar, Missouri.

Also located in the Morlan plot in Waters Cemetery besides Erwin and Adaline Morlan are their sons Stephen R. Morlan (January 3, 1878) and Oliver Morlan (March 15, 1939) and Erwin's brother, Charles L. Morlan (February 20, 1895).