|GEORGE WILLIAM (BILL) GILLETT FAMILY HISTORY||
BACK to the SHEDDEN FAMILY
BACK to SHEDDEN FAMILY STORIES
Home of William Ennes
The William Ennes Home - William Ennes was born January 10, 1711 in Marbletown, Ulster County, New York and died in Sussex County, New Jersey in March of 1804 at the age of 93.
He married Elizabeth Quick May 18, 1739, probably in Sussex County, New Jersey, but at least in the Minisink region. Elizabeth was born in Rochester, New York about 1722 and died April 8, 1771 in Sussex County, New Jersey about 49 years old.
About 1734 William traveled to the Minisink region of the Delaware River where he taught school, being one of the county's first teachers. He was one armed.
The William Ennes' purchased the home in 1753. It was built in 1751 on the Old Mine Road in Sandyston Township of Sussex County about three miles south of the Brick House Hotel and not far from the site of the old village of Minisink. It was sold to the Ennes' by Richard Gardner.
It is a small home built with long, narrow, roughly cut stones covered by a very high and steep gable. The window openings are unusual for the time as they have greater width than height.
William and Elizabeth raised 10 children in the home. After his death it was passed on to their daughter and her husband, Simon and Catherine (Ennes) Cortwright.
The house was still standing in 1983 after 252 years.
He married Magdalena Decker May 12, 1687 at Kingston, Ulster County, New York. She was born about 1666 at Kingston, the daughter of Jan and Heyltje (Jacobse) Dekker and died in 1727 about 61 years old.
Three of their sons were active in the Minisink area. Anthony bought 120 acres on Minisink Island and 120 acres opposite it on the New Jersey mainland. Cornelius Westbrook built a house further south, opposite Hainesville in Sandyston Township
Johannes Westbrook, Jr. built his home shortly after 1725 when they platted the village of Minisink. In 1731 he sold part of his land for a school house and cemetery. The school house is where William Ennes taught. He lived just south of them.
The Westbrook home is located on the Old Mine Road in Minisink Village between Old Mine Road and the Delaware River, opposite the south end of the Minisink Island. It is a low house of rough gray stone. The high and steep gable roof is now covered with tin tiling
The home has always been owned by a Westbrook descendant.